Tuesday 10 November 2015

Making Venus Flytrap for Props

To create the Venus flytrap, I have thought of using dry spaghetti to create the trigger hair and the cilia effect. While for the shape of the Venus Flytrap, I am going to use Conchiglie pasta as I think the shape is similar to the Venus Flytrap and on below, I have experimented and tested if my idea works or not. 

Equipments:
  • Scissors
  • Dry spaghetti
  • Conchiglie pasta
  • Watercolor paint 
  • Acrylic paint
  • Superglue 
  • A paint palette
  • Paint brushes x 2 
Paint with watercolor:
First, I have mixed the purple and vermilion together with the watercolor paint to create a reddish purple color and then mixed with some water and painted the color onto the dry spaghetti. After that, I have cut the spaghetti into tiny pieces.
After that, I have used the color 'yellow green' and mix with some water, then apply it onto the outer surface of the conchiglie pasta. After that, I have mixed the color vermilion and purple color and a bit of water together to create the reddish purple color which I painted on the inside of the conchiglie pasta. 

Then, I have cut the top part of the dry spaghetti into a sharp end to create a sharp pointy end which helps to create a scary looking of the flytrap and also it related to my idea to show links to the trigger and guard hair from the Venus flytrap.
After that, I have used superglue to stick the painted spaghetti on the edge of the pasta. 
 Later on, I repeated the same process and on below is how it looks like when it's finished.
I think the final result of the flytrap looks good and I really like the outcome of it. Although it takes a long time to finish one of this flytrap, but I'm pleased with the result of how it looks like and I think it will be suitable for my design as well. 
I have also tried to paint the conchiglie pasta with acrylic paint and I want to compare it with the one that I did previously with watercolor paint, which one will look the best for my hybrid design. 

 Paint with acrylic:
I have tried to paint the pasta with acrylic paint and compare to the watercolor paint which I've done previously, I think the acrylic paint color is more bold and fix while the watercolor one looks more natural and I like how it looks quite old which helps to create a more scary looking for my design. Because I think the acrylic paint one looks a bit fake and I think the watercolor one look more natural and realistic, so I will go for using the watercolor paint for the final design of my human hybrid. 

On below, I have made 9 flytraps which are painted with watercolor paint but on my design, I will use 7 and I have made 2 extra flytraps just in case some of them broke. 
In order to secure them on the head, I have stuck the hair pins behind the flytrap with superglue, so I can tuck them on my model's head.

No comments:

Post a Comment