Friday 20 November 2015

Sculpting and Silicone Mold Making for my Flytrap Human Hybrid character # Technical Folder

For my Flytrap human hybrid design, I want to use the flytrap roots to function my hybrid character rather than using the human veins and by doing this, I will be using the patterns of the flytrap roots on the skin.  

I have sculpted the patterns of the plants roots and I have done three sections of silicone pieces on two molds. On below are the three sculptures that I've created. 
The sculpture on above is for the pieces which goes to the right forearm of my character. I have tried to sculpt as small and fine as possible (like the flytrap roots) and also I have made details on it as roots are not smooth in texture.
The sculptures on above are the pieces which will go on the neck and shoulder area. 

Making the silicone mold:
First, I have sprayed the sculptures with fixing spray. After it is dried, I have sprayed the sculptures with petrolease. 
After the petrolease is dried, I have mixed the silicone A and B in a measuring cup. I have used 100g of silicone A and 100g of silicone B for each sculpture to create the molds. After I have mixed the mixture together, I have poured the mixture into my sculptures.
I have waited for the molds to dry after a few hours. Then, after it is fully tried and goes hard, I have removed the silicone from my sculptures. On below shows the molds that I've created using the sculpture that I've did. I have cleaned the mold with isopropyl alcohol to remove the clay from the molds.
Then, I have sprayed the molds with petrolease first. After it is dried, I have applied 3 layers of the mixture of 1 baldiez and 2 isopropyl alcohol onto the molds.After apply one layer, I have make sure the layer is dried after I applied the other layer. I have speed up the process by using the cool setting of the hairdryer to dry the molds.
After that, I have mixed 10 g silicone A and 10g silicone B and 12g deadener together in a measuring cup and also apply color pigments which matches my model's skin tone. After I have mixed well the mixture, I pour it onto the molds. I have remove the excess mixture by using a flat tool. Then, I have used the baby buds and naphtha to clean the excess mixture as well. 


The mixtures are dried after two hours and then, I have put a lot of baby powder on the molds. After that, when I remove the silicone pieces from the molds, I have also powder underneath the silicone pieces. On below shows how my silicone pieces look like after I have removed them from the molds.
Silicone pieces for practice:
I have made another silicone pieces for my practice and on below are the pieces that I've created.

No comments:

Post a Comment